Creating a website has never been easier than now. There are multiple platforms to choose from, most of them enable you to create almost any type of site you require making it challenging to choose the perfect content management system for your needs. We will introduce four CMS options to help you decide which content management system can satisfy your requirements.
Bright fact: A content management system is a software used to publish and manage the creation and modification of digital content.
What can be created using a CMS Platform?
Most CMS websites were originally created with blogging in mind hence why the majority of people think that content management systems are made for blogging. However, most of these platforms evolved to be highly customisable, therefore they became so flexible that they can be used for almost any type of project you require.
Although CMS platforms are ideal for websites dedicated to content creation and sharing, with the right tools, they can solve more advanced web projects such as online stores, forums and private membership sites.
What features should a good CMS contain?
There might be an idea what you require for creating a website with a CMS. We have collected five core features explaining what a good CMS should offer.
- A method of publishing content effortlessly: Any quality CMS will include a powerful editor, and multiple of options to ensure your content looks top-quality
- Content categorisation options. The more content a website has, the more essential it is to keep everything organized. Therefore, a CMS should enable you to assign tags, create categories to your articles, and so on.
- Page editing functionality. As well as publishing content, you will need to create various types of pages for your website. A CMS should provide you with the tools that are required to get the job done.
- A high level of customisability. In our experience, good CMS platforms are highly customisable. That means they permit you to add nearly any feature you require, which in turn enables you to construct more advanced websites.
- An active community. Content management systems with functioning communities are under constant development. Therefore, there always will be access to updates, security patches, and help from other experienced people.
Let’s examine four of the most well-known content management systems and their key features.
WordPress is an open-source content management system that originally was created as a blog publishing platform that has grown far beyond expectations and powering around 30% of the entire web. The platform is simple to use, and it is customisable with content using themes and plugins.
WordPress also provides high quality experience when it comes to content management. It is simple to publish new posts and pages and it gives you access to a powerful editor that allows you to format your content. Furthermore, the platform supports user registration, obtains regular updates, and features a large helpful community.
- Includes built-in publishing and content management options.
- Provides a powerful editor that allows you to format your content with ease.
- The platform is highly customisable because of high number of plugins and themes.
- There is a strong and supportive community at present.
Although WordPress provides a large variety of services, you will need plugins for additional features, and you can be subjected to frequent updates of plugins and themes.
2. Craft CMS
Craft is a user-friendly CMS for creating custom digital experiences on the web and beyond. It is a great alternative to WordPress for development-oriented publishers who want deeper control and powerful performance from their content management tools. It is developed to be highly scalable and provides instinctive features for complex content management relationships.
This is a great CMS where templates can be built by the user and there are no unused scripts and templates and does not require plugins to achieve certain functionalities, making it less clunky to use.
- Excellent user interface:
- Easy to develop with twig and documentation all at arm’s reach, and everything is custom by the developer.
- Functional without plugins
- Supported with pixelandtonic and other high-end developers through discord.
This CMS does not require any previous experience in web development; however, it is not an overly used CMS. Therefore, the community is smaller than other CMS communities, meaning there is less support. If you, as the developer, required something specific, then you would need to create the plugin or outsource it due to the small variety of plugins that are currently available.
Magento is an ecommerce platform developed on open-source technology which offers online merchants with a flexible shopping cart system, control over the look, as well as management over the content and functionality of their online store. Magento provides array of powerful tools such as potent marketing, search engine optimization, and catalogue-management tools.
- SEO (search engine optimisation) friendly: It generates SEO- friendly URLs you can optimise product pages and descriptions, also websites developed with Magento are compatible across all devices and browsers.
- Flexible content management:It allows store owners to customize the offerings and make the store user-friendly. Magento comes with an intuitive page editor that is used to manipulate the functioning of the store.
- Advanced Reporting: there are multiple top-quality reporting features that offer approximately 20 reports through the web interface. The report keeps on updating constantly to show the latest information. These include the number of orders, AOV, taxes, collection of shipping fees etc. It helps you manage your ecommerce businesses neatly with the latest insights, data and metrics.
Although the community version of Magento is free and has many versions, the enterprise version is expensive and there’s a third-party fee when you cannot install the extension yourself and the platform lack of organised monitoring.
Shopify is a well-known ecommerce platform for online stores and retail point-of-sales systems. The platform offers online retailers a suite of services including payments, marketing, customer engagement tools and shipping also providing high levels of support.
- Shopify offers technological assistance, a clear interface that provides help managing the store’s needs which other ecommerce platforms might not include.
- Shopify create professional themes to retain the customers of a store and the platform provides merchants several options of themes to choose from along with the option to filter themes by industry.
- The platform has a dedicated support team who are available 24/7 via live chat, and email and also provides four different phone numbers to contact them depending on your region.
- Shopify has a range of marketing tools that increase SEO rankings which include generating discount codes, selling products on Pinterest and other social media, and using Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) to increase the speed of content delivery
Shopify can be the easiest way to create an ecommerce platform. Although, it offers web hosting and email forwarding is possible, it does not provide email hosting and inbuilt themes will require customisation and can only be done by a professional.
Here at Brightbulb Design, we specialise in web design and development to help brands to grow and work in all four of these CMS. If you require help with your website or your project, then contact us on 01983 506505 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org and check out our work on our website: https://www.brightbulbdesign.co.uk/portfolio/